29 Nov 2014

Break those bones whose sinews gave it motion.


Method actor Rourke in "Crazy Rich Guy".


The Hollywood grind can be a tough one. After my short stint as a stunt double for Mr Pitt and some more well-known film talent, I felt I needed a brake from the spotlight so I packed my bags and moved to the good old United Kingdom to pursue my art. I copped no small amount of flack for this, especially from my agent who thanks to my acting skill and race horse like physique was in a rather comfortable position. I understood his nervousness and as stunt doubles and raw acting talent like myself do not grow on trees, I have always done my best to put him in touch when ever I could.

Surprisingly, I am not the only A-lister who has chosen the visual arts as a come down from the bright lights of Hollywood. On Friday night, film legend and possibly the second sexiest man alive Mr Mickey Rourke burst into the performance art scene. I must admit to being a little apprehensive when he first contacted me for advice on his career change. I have a lot of respect for Rourke and his ability to maintain his punishing collagen routine, but his first artistic endeavour titled "You'll never beat the establishment" seemed too academic, too complex for a work straight out of the box. None the less, the piece staged in Moscow, featured a taught Rourke playing the hero "Western man" and Mr Elliot Seymour as "He who must be pillaged". The set dressed almost convincingly as a boxing ring staged an epic David and Goliath styled dance but at last, this time though, the true hero wins. It was a glorious piece of work and although completely sold, my only criticism would be as good as the choreography was, it was apparent the powerhouse Rourke was holding back but I'm sure a few more performances will iron out the kinks.



Art's new Adonis takes a break.


I had the opportunity to chat to Rourke after his stunning private viewing.

TWAD: Congratulations on your new piece. It seems obvious your careerer in performance art has been cemented. Where did you find inspirations for this new direction?

ROURKE: Yeah, thanks Baz. You're obviously a huge inspiration for me but I think my main influence for this particular work was Bono. His piece "I'm trying really hard to save the world but being environmentally sustainable is actually really really dangerous" really spoke to me. I don't think the working classes or sorta smaller countries like Africa, Iran and Afghanistan know how hard it is to be rich and famous. It's a lot of responsibility and stuff.


Artist Bono in his horrific bike accident make up.



TWAD: Any other artistic influences?

ROURKE: Um, oh yeah, Kim Jong.

YWAD: Kim Jong-Un? That's pretty left field. Tell me more about that?

ROURKE: Well, like she's just a normal chick right, but she just gets her arse out and like, BAM! Amazing stuff. 

TWAD: Arh, Kim Kardashian? So you like her work?

ROURKE: Um, what does she do? I mean, that photo's hot ya know. All big 'n' shiny 'n' stuff. We've got it in the gym.

TWAD: Quite. So, your piece seems to be saying, we are not going to go away. Is that the sort of direction you were coming from?

ROURKE: Yeah, we are rich and proud ya know. Like, there's a lot of protests at the moment, kinda getting down on people with money ya know. It's like they (the protesters) don't know how much we do for them. I mean, I buy coke from this dude right. He buys it from another guy and he buys it from someone else. That's my money feeding like three guys, plus I always tip the concierge at places. Like, I make a heap of cash right but I probably spend even more than I earn!

TWAD: Ah yes, reminiscent of the banker situation? Very deep Mickey.

ROURKE: Yeah, like the bankers, yeah. See that wasn't even their money ya know. So how come they get the blame for losing it? That's not cool. An' like Bono right. Like, he's doing that charity song right but he pays for the limo to get there an' stuff. Some of those things are so big it must take like four guys to drive 'em. Don't forget, money's green and white! You remember in Harley Davidson and the Marlboro man, wait, you wanna do a line or two before we go on?...

Honestly, this is powerful stuff. I suspect we'll be hearing about this piece for many years to come and I think it is safe to say Rouke and Bono for that matter will be entertaining us for many years yet. May the rich keep us all honest.







No comments:

Post a Comment