26 Sept 2013

Extremities, organs and associated paraphernalia.

If you are a keen reader (Hi Nan!) you may remember a post I did a while ago about my Witch's hand and heart. Well the project had a point and direction which I didn't really touch on back then. The goal was to produce a couple of artifacts, storage for said artifacts and documentation to support a long, interesting but readable history. Well and am pleased to say I think I have finished. 


For the Glory of God


I've also produced a Witch's finger (Check out this fantastic one on Propnomicon) as a smaller project along with an aged accompanying letter and photos from the original seller of both items. So here's the story,  On the 25th of may 1951 The good Rev S. Jones contacts Mr C. H. Williamson of the Newly established Isle of Man witchcraft Museum. The Reverend has a rather expensive roof to fix and a church vault full of rather distasteful relics the diocese wish to distance themselves from. He snaps some pictures and toddles off to the post office. The deal is done. 



 
Cursed Finger


Mr Williamson takes delivery of the items, cleans em up, dresses up the cases a bit, archives them and issues his admission tickets. Happy days! In 1958 and in line with the attitudes of the times, favour falls from the struggling Museum and it is closed. These two items, being of sensitive materials and historical importance are again sold. The London Museum takes delivery, another set of archives tags are added and a new warehouse becomes their home.

Now if you are a keen eyed devil, I'm sure you'll notice the original post about the Witch's hand is dated the 9th of November. This was the first time I've created prop documents and photos of this age and I have to say it is a huge under taking. Not only the research involved in finding probable situations, but places, people, understanding their motivations and language are all part of the story and just as important as the main props. Then there's the ageing. I've worked with wood a bit and am comfortable with my ageing process but paper and photos are a whole different kettle of witch's brew. There's finding historical paper and photo sizes, stamps, postage marks, making authentic envelopes. I could go on and on. I can't remember how many versions of the photos I've taken, printed, then aged and tested. I know I'm up to six completed versions of the envelopes before I was happy and the letter. Oh god! The letter! lol. I certainly have a new respect for anyone producing this type of material but what joy! I really can't tell you how much I've enjoyed this project and how satisfying it has been. 


My Etsy


So, what's next. Well I am pleased to tell you I've opened an Etsy. It's been in the works for a while and the  Witch's hand and heart was always to be my first listing. I've been working on a few other things as well to go on there such as the Fairy fossils and the DogÅ« so please check it out and let me know what you think. More listings to come. Thank you for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment